I came to an interesting realization a while back. I realized that I have done and experienced everything that I could hope to do in a life, and that I am humbled by my fortune.
Here are some of the things I’m thankful for:
- I have enjoyed a beautiful romance for over 20 years
- I have have enjoyed time with wonderful friends
- I have been able to work with many of those friends from the various periods throughout my life in the best job I’ve ever had
- I have traveled the world
- I’ve read lots of great books
- I have laughed
- I’ve really enjoyed writing and sharing and meeting great people through my website
Basically, I’ve done most things I could have wanted to do in a life already. This doesn’t mean that I don’t have more to do. It doesn’t mean I don’t still have goals, because I do.
What it means is that if things were to end suddenly tomorrow, and I had even the shortest time to reflect, I would smile knowing that there wasn’t some other big thing I needed to be happy.
I already am happy.
Anything past this point is just greedy. I’ve already lived a remarkable life, and now I want another 50 years of it? Seems rather selfish when you think about it.
So I say to myself and the universe:
Fortune has spoiled me beyond expectation, and for this I am thankful. I have already lived the life I wanted to live, and anything past this point is just sugar on top of icing on top of cake. Here’s hoping I never forget this.