This is the content that visitors have most enjoyed on the site, which ranges from information security, to technology, to meaning and happiness, to politics, to productivity. I hope you find something you enjoy.
- Vulnerability Assessment vs. Penetration TestThese two terms are possibly the most misunderstood in infosec.
- How to Build a Successful Information Security Career
- Information Security Interview Questions
- Encoding vs. Encryption vs. HashingThere are lots of different ways to modify bits, and they are used for very different purposes.
- Obscurity is a Valid Security Layer
- A Future Without Privacy
- When to Use Vulnerability Assessments, Pentesting, Red Team Assessments, and Bug Bounties
- Purple Team Pentests Mean You’re Failing at Red and Blue
- Information Security Assessment TypesSeparating the different types of security assessment, e.g., PT, VA, Audit, White/Grey/Black-box, etc.
- Information Security Definitions
- The Difference Between Events, Alerts, and Incidents
- My Tutorial SeriesThe collection of my tutorials across information security, Linux, TCP/IP, and many other topics.
- Machine Learning is the New Statistics
vimTutorial and Primer
- DEVOPS is Fundamentally About Practice and Improvement
- The Difference Between Machine Learning and Statistics
- Evolutionary Algorithms Could be More Significant Than Machine Learning
tcpdumpTutorial and Primer
- The Difference Between URLs and URIsThe technical relationship and differences between URIs and URLs.
- Extracting XML Elements Using
- A Machine Learning Primer
- Less Frequently Used UNIX/Linux Commands
- Encoding vs. Encryption vs. Hashing vs. Obfuscation
- The Difference Between BSD and System V Unix
- Understanding the Blockchain
- Speeding Up NGINX Caching with tempfs
- The Difference Between Existentialism, Nihilism, and AbsurdismA discussion of the various ways of dealing with an intrinsic lack of meaning in the universe.
- Absolute vs. Practical Free Will
- The Difference Between Pursuing Happiness and Pursuing Meaning
- An Evolutionary Explanation of Our Experience of Free WillMy working hypothesis on how we evolved the perception of free will.
- Embracing the Illusion of Free Will
- The Future of Happiness as Digital Humans
- Functional Free Will
- Albert Camus’ Absurdism
- The Future of Happiness
- The Bible is Fiction: A Collection of EvidenceWays the Bible mirrors previous works of mythology and fiction.
- The Best Response to “Atheists are arrogant”
- My Only Shot at Immortality
- Interesting Analysis of Karl Marx’ Writing
- How to See If Your Morality Comes from God
- 3 Reasons the Future Will Think Us Primitive
- Learning is an Integration ProblemWhat you know doesn’t matter as much as you think. What matters is how you can integrate what you know with what you do every day.
- People are More Creative When Thinking Abstractly
- Algorithmic LearningAn approach to learning that focuses on integration of new knowledge into established methodologies.
- Defining my Passion
- The Relationship Between Relaxation, Fun, and Success
- Concise, Transparent Communication as the Primary Metric of Competency
- Creative Output Requires Quality Inputs
- The Power of Bottom-up (Evolution) vs. Top-down (Design) Thinking
- Examples of Design vs. Evolution Thinking in Various IndustriesHow design vs. evolution thinking can be seen throughout various industries.
- The Answer to Peak Content is High-quality Curation
- Brainstorming Questions Instead of Answers
- How to Raise an Employee’s IQ by 10 Points in 2 MinutesThe key to unlocking your team’s potential has finally been revealed, and it’s probably not what you think it is.
- Why You Should Hire Using Evolution vs. Design Thinking
- How AI Will Improve Human Customer Service Right Before it Kills It
- A Business Writing Primer
- The TIGeR Hiring Algorithm
- The Best Interview Question
- You Should Write Email Like the BBC Writes News Stories
- Four Random Thoughts on Creating Good Metrics
- Want: A Disease Based in Low Self-EsteemHow we find things more attractive because they’re fleeting, and what it means about us.
- Creation vs. Collection
- Know Your Life Metrics
- Gratitude is the Epicenter of Happiness
- Are You a Producer or a Nurturer?Exploring the differences and overlaps between those who primarily produce vs. those who primarily create other people.
- Hormones, Narratives, and Meaning
- In the Future We’ll All be Superheroes and Princesses
- Why Music Makes us Feel Good
- Self as Anchor
- The Moral Cowardice of LiberalismHow the far left is attacking progressivism by refusing to stand for its humanist ideals.
- Honesty as a Response to Public Rudeness
- Advantages to 50’s Christianity?
- The Difference Between Bigotry and Rejecting Bigotry
- Profit vs. the Middle ClassThe fundamental struggle between stated goals in the Western world.
- Seeking a Universal Law for Tolerance and Intolerance
- Embrace the Moderates
- A Brilliant Way to Detect Bias
- The Potential Suffering Index (PSI)
- The Merged Pothole Model of ConsciousnessWhy synthetic intelligence is not likely to look anything like human intelligence.
- The Inevitable Purpose of AI Will be Jailbreaking the Universe
- Does Parenting Matter Far Less Than Genetics?
- The Best Man-made Global Warming Data Comes from ExxonMobil
- P vs. NP ExplainedWhat P vs. NP means, and why it matters.
- How to Fall in Love With Anyone
- People Reject Truth When the Conclusion Disagrees With Them
- Accuracy vs. Precision
- When Logic Only Comes from Extremists, Expect Bad Things to HappenHow the regressive left is doing severe damage to its ideals by staying silent on sensitive issues.
- America Needs a Prime Directive
- The Hierarchy of Citizenship
- The Other Half of Changing Someone’s Opinion
- Do Guns Make Us More or Less Safe?
- How to Debate an Idiot
- Profit vs. the Middle Class
- The Truth About Earth in 2015A bulleted summary on the state of the world in 2015.
- The Problem with Free Markets and Core Services
- Three Places I Break from Liberals
- Three Ways the Left is Anti-science
- 5 Reasons to Expect More Public Shootings
- 2 Things I Learned in My ThirtiesI learned my two most important lessons in my thirties, but I wish they’d come earlier.
- The Most Important Skill
- The Depressing Truth About Friendship in AdulthoodNobody tells you that your friends scatter after high school and college, and that they’re not coming back.
- What EDC Means to Me
- I Want to Be Good at Giving Gifts
- Why You Should Treat C-Players Like A-Players
- Three Things You Should Do the First Week of January
- What I’m Afraid Of
- What I’ve Learned From 15 Years of Blogging