I am going to do something that could be considered embarrassing:
I want to capture what I consider to be my ideal work.
Perhaps you’re wondering why that would be a sensitive thing to write about. Let me give you two reasons:
- If you’re being honest work you describe could make you look bad. It could be that you honestly want to be something that isn’t respected by others.
- It may be uncomfortable to show how distant your current work is from what you now admit you’d rather be doing. Maybe you are an accountant but want to be a painter, and the disconnect doesn’t reflect well on you.
So those are two reasons this is a bad idea. Let’s proceed then.
The creation and sharing of ideas
- Making short videos that explain things
- Writing short books that explain things
- Giving talks about those explanations
- Giving analysis on current events
- Helping the world secure our infrastructure
- Modeling why things are happening, and explaining them
- Helping people be happier
- Helping people secure their personal lives / data
- Thinking about, predicting, and modeling the future, and then talking about those predictions
- Helping people prepare for that future
- Designing educational curricula
I’d like to do this via:
- Creating videos
- Writing books
- Giving talks
- Doing panels
Here are some people have done something similar.
- Sam Harris
- Scott Adams
- Randall Munroe
- Christopher Hitchens
- RSA Animate
- Humans Need Not Apply
I put this out there as a form intention, transparency, and honesty. It’s a reminder to myself that while I’m immensely happy doing what I’m doing, there is more work to be done.