The GOP seems to make a habit of being on the wrong side of issues. I think we’re nearing the time when this will become obvious to voters. Here’s a short list:
- Iraq. It’s true that Democrats voted for the war as well, but that doesn’t make the two sides equally guilty. Virtually all opposition to the war came from the left, and the strongest support came from the right.
- Gay Marriage. They have been on the wrong side of this since the beginning, and only now are the first Republicans starting to break ranks.
- Gender Equality. If you find a male politician who thinks women should conform to traditional roles, you’ve probably found a Republican.
- Creationism. They believe in it, and they want to teach it to children in public schools. It’s lunacy, and it’ll soon be uncovered as such.
- Climate Change. This is the biggest mistake of the list because it’s going to likely lead to some degree of global catastrophe.
The point I’m making here is that on each of these issues, the GOP has been fighting on the wrong side for decades.
In coming months and years it’s going to become increasingly difficult for a candidate to associate themselves with any of these positions. And calling oneself part of the “GOP” will be martyr’s maneuver.
It’ll be humorous to see all these GOP types reinvent themselves. They’ll have to find ways to claim that they’ve believed people who love each other should be able to get married all along. And they never doubted the climate science. And they’ve always believed in evolution.
I don’t care that they were wrong, actually. It’s amusing, but a distraction. I simply look forward to having a consensus that these issues are critical, so we can start fixing them.