Originally from Mike Gancarz’s book, here are the 9 primary tenets of Unix.
- Small is Beautiful
- Make Each Program Do One Thing Well
- Build a Prototype as Soon as Possible
- Choose Portability Over Efficiency
- Store Data in Flat ASCII Files
- Use Software Leverage to Your Advantage
- Use Shell Scripts to Increase Leverage and Portability
- Avoid Captive User Interfaces
- Make Every Program a Filter
I think this is one of the biggest ideas in computer science, and I don’t feel it gets the respect it deserves.