We’ve not changed the logo for Unsupervised Learning since the first one back in 2015, so we thought it was time.
But going 6 years wasn’t the only reason. Here’s what I wanted that in the new design:
- More meaning related to the brand
- More square vs. round
- The graphical component to be able to stand alone without the text
Here’s a breakdown of the graphic’s meaning.
- The visual overall of dots connected by lines is meant to signify circuitry and connections (like a neural net)
- The first part of the logo is an upside-down “U”, indicating unorthodoxy
- The second part of the logo is an “L” for learning
- The orphaned dot represents a connection that hasn’t yet been made—perpetually reminding us that there is always more to learn
The text is Advocate, by Matthew Butterick, which is used elsewhere on the site.
So I think we hit all aspects of what we were looking for, and I’m pretty happy with it.
I just recreated my phone’s lock screen wallpaper to use the new logo, and here it is for anyone interested.
Let me know your thoughts on it.
- My partner came up with a significant improvement to the visual part of the logo by recommending the upside-down “U” character, as well as the standalone dot. She also named the brand back when it started! 1,000,000 thanks to her!