The week between Christmas and New Years is a particularly good time to plan for the following year.
I realized the other day that I’m orienting myself to take on a number of interests this coming year, so I thought I’d capture them here.
- Software Defined Radio (SDR). I already have my HackRF One kit and have already messed with it, but I’m going to be doing some meet-ups here in the Bay Area and going deep on it.
- Looking into nootropics and other forms of cognitive enhancement, e.g., exercise, meditation, etc.
- Genome mapping and ancestry follow-up. I intend to find out what all my genome has within it, and plugging that into some of the online services that find matches. Perhaps reaching out and comparing notes.
- Drones. I’m getting a MAVIC sometime early in the year.
- Creating more of my own art. I have two ideas for pieces that I REALLY want to do. I simply lack the location or the training to execute. So I’m going to take some classes or find an artist to spin me up quickly.
- Creating EDM music. I’ve signed up for an EDM music class and will be doing that this year. I have some very strong ideas about what I want to make, but need the skills to make them tangible.
- Reading and capturing more books. I read a lot in 2016, but I feel I can do better in 2017. The capture part is a big reward for me, and I love the feeling of having all these powerful ideas swirling around inside me that produce their own mutated ideas.
- More technical posts around detecting and responding to interesting activity. I am becoming even more obsessed with monitoring, detection, and response. I intend to do a lot more posts like my recent one on Honeytrapping, where I give extremely practical advice on how to capture logs and look for interesting activity.
- Keep the podcast and newsletter going strong.
I’m also doing some fascinating stuff at work, and I expect this to be the biggest year for me professionally as well. So. Many. Cool. Projects!
What are your projects?