A lot of people seem to be unsatisfied with their Apple Watches. I think I know why that is, and it simply doesn’t apply to me.
I think many people needed to be convinced that they wanted one in the first place. They had to be sold an ephemeral magic thing that was going to happen.
But it didn’t happen.
Turns out, it’s just a digital watch with a few cool features. But no magic. Nothing from the future.
So they bash it, and say it didn’t live up to expectations.
For me it’s different. I’m a watch freak. Actually, no. I’m a time freak. I love having accurate time. My next watch was probably going to be one of the newish, sporty Atomic clock watches.
I didn’t buy one because they weren’t as nice as a mechanical watch (I normally wore a Submariner).
So what Apple Watch represented for me was a way to skin a perfectly accurate watch that could tell me if people texted me, or when certain people tweeted, or if breaking news happened, etc.
I also really loved the activity monitoring.
So that was basically it.
Apple Watch for me
For me the Apple watch is the following:
- Perfect time, instantly, no matter what state, city, time zone, or country I’m in
- The ability to track how active I’ve been over the last day, week, or month
- Notifications for key things like texts, tweets, and breaking news
- Seeing what’s next on my calendar
This is it.
It’s a watch with a couple of features. And that is highly worth it for me. When I wear my Submariner now it just feels like a highly inaccurate piece of jewelry. I still love it visually, but it just doesn’t give me the experience of a timepiece that I want.
I do think that this version of the Apple Watch will come to be seen as extremely weak compared to v2 and v3, but that’s fine. Everyone expected that, and this version is good enough for me to replace anything before it.
- The Apple Watch isn’t magical
- For me it’s better than an old-school mechanical because it’s functional vs. visual
- I wish I could have both, i.e. a Submariner frame with Apple Watch 3.0 functionality
- I hope everyone is working towards that