Unsupervised Learning is weekly newsletter and podcast that thinks about the intersection of security, technology, and society—and what might be coming next.
I spend 5-20 hours a week curating news from hundreds of sources, and every Monday I release a 15-minute summary of the headlines and my analysis in both text and audio.
The newsletter and podcast are mirrors of each other to provide consumption flexibility.
The show has been running consistently since 2015, has over 40,000 newsletter subscribers and 30,000 monthly podcast downloads, and features regularly in the Top 50 podcasts in the Technology category.
How are sponsors featured?
I believe traditional ads disrupt the reader/listener experience, so my approach is to integrate supporting products and services into the Discovery section. This is an area of the show where I surface products, services, tools, and articles that I think the audience will find valuable.
Formatting makes Sponsored entries stand out from the other entries.
Featured products and services appear at the top of the Discovery section and are tagged as a Sponsored Discovery, with a description of what the product/service does and the value it brings.
Because the newsletter is the text version of the podcast, your sponsorship will feature both in the newsletter and on the podcast (text and audio) for the sponsorship price. Each episode is also then hosted on danielmiessler.com (example), which is my personal site that receives over 200K views per month.
This doesn’t include standalone content that can be released in addition to scheduled News & Analysis episodes.
Unsupervised Learning releases two (2) public newsletters per month, and two (2) paid newsletters per month—for a total of four (4) News & Analysis episodes per month.
What type of audience does Unsupervised Learning have?
The Unsupervised Learning audience is heavily weighted towards senior-level Information Security and Technology professionals based out of the United States, Europe, Canada, and Australia.
There is also significant representation among creatives, international travelers, and lifestyle-focused subscribers.
What is the reach for Unsupervised Learning?
Each episode is released over the following four channels:
- Email (Reach: ~42,000/~1,000 subscribers in May 2021)
- Podcast (Reach: ~29,000 downloads for May 2021)
- Website (Reach: Alexa top 100K, ~238K views for May 2021)
- Twitter (Reach: Verified, ~116K followers in May 2021)
Great, how do we sign up?
I am currently scheduling for the Summer and Fall of 2021. To reserve slots, reach out to us at:
I look forward to working with you!
Here are some additional Frequently Asked Questions.
What can we expect for engagement?
- Newsletter open rates are ~29% for public episodes, with a ~9% click rate.
- Newsletter open rates are ~66% for subscriber episodes, with a ~45% click rate.
- Promoted links generate anywhere from dozens to hundreds of clicks, depending on the episode.
What else do we need to know about working with Unsupervised Learning?
- We reserve the right to refuse sponsors for any reason.
- Sponsorships can include products, services, job openings, other calls to action, or general awareness.
- We feature one sponsor per episode.
- We accept multiple bookings for a given period, but prefer a gap of two episodes.
- We prefer to limit copy to ~400 characters.
What data can we get from our campaign?
What we are able to share:
- How many people opened your email.
- How many people clicked the sponsored link.
What we will never share:
- Any information about our subscribers, including those who engaged with your campaign.