You can’t use reason to argue a point with a person that didn’t use reason to arrive at their opinion.
This is very true, and it’s the same with the healthcare debate. This is the kind of garbage we’re hearing from average Republicans:
- The proposal will push for the killing of old people
- The proposal will keep Americans like Stephen Hawking from surviving
- The proposal will take away my current coverage
- The proposal will remove my ability to choose
Anyone believing this crap, and using it to construct their opinions has failed on two levels:
- They lack a bullshit filter
- They don’t do their own research
So how is it that you expect to reasonably debate them on a given issue? When you try to have a reasonable discussion with someone like this, you’re playing a completely different sport than they are. It’s like you’re tossing them a baseball, and they’re jumping on a toboggan.
Do yourself a favor: if you see that you’re addressing a simple-minded parrot who hasn’t done any research, attack them on their knowledge of the facts of the proposal, not on the actual discussion points of the debate. You can’t have a debate with someone who hasn’t even read the material. ::