In this short presentation I discuss the flaws with the common and Compatibilist views on Free Will. It covers the following topics:
- Absolute and Practical Free Will
- Experience is Not Reality
- Moral Responsibility
- The Ability to Do Otherwise
- Real-world Implications of Discarding Free Will
Please feel free to interact via email, on Twitter, or in the comments below.
- A number of arguments mentioned, such as the concept of hatred being impossible without choice, and the example of the remote controlled actor, I heard from Sam Harris in a Very Bad Wizards Podcast. Thanks to him for his continued work on this subject.
- I plan on doing a number of these podcast or video presentations, not just on philosophy but on technical topics as well. One of the next ones I’ll be doing is on Dennett’s position on Free Will. Basically a direction of his counters to the argument I laid out here.