…and more importantly, why are they not being criticized for it? I mean they’re not exactly being subtle about it.
- Text ads at the top and right.
- The upper right area has a link to the definition of the search term.
- Stats from Yahoo: 1 – 10 of about 337,000,000 for linux – 0.13 sec
- Stats from Google: Results 1 – 20 of about 999,000,000 English pages for linux [definition]. (0.21 seconds)
- The search results look highly similar — cached being the first option, for example.
- Search bar at top and bottom (intuitive, but horked nonetheless).
- The overall look, i.e. a minimalist feel.
I mean, that list took literally 4 minutes to put together; I’m sure there’s much more. The question is: why doesn’t Google care? Why don’t Yahoo’s proponents care? It’s flagrant, really. It’s essentially saying to the world, in big block letters,
“I suck – a lot. My only option in this search competition is to copy the superior company.”
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t know how I’d compete with Google either, but damn. This is just obscene.