Here’s what I think will be in the iPhone 6S next year:
- A massive camera upgrade. I think they’re going to dramatically increase the size and quality of their sensors, improve their focus speed and accuracy, etc. I’m thinking like a 50% improvement in camera quality overall.
- Wireless charging. I think 2015 may be the year they do this.
Why would they do this for a mid-phase upgrade? Because they’re both evolutionary, not revolutionary.
Technologically speaking, wireless charging is a major step forward, but it’s not a new feature (like Apple Pay is, for example). And the same goes for a dramatically improved camera—it’ll be massive within the camera space, but iPhones already have good cameras, so it’s nothing net-new.
In addition to these two major features I’m predicting the standard updates as well:
- Slight tweaking on the existing 6 body design (perhaps the removal of the antenna bands)
- Slight improvement in the display
- A decent but not overwhelming bump in the processor and RAM (maybe to 2GB of memory)
Those are my predictions, and I’ll be putting edits below (rather than modifying the original text) so I can see how wrong I was as the date approaches.
Comments or alternate predictions welcomed below.