As someone attempting to master vim I am rather obsessed with efficiency, and this manifests powerfully in my desire to use keyboard shortcuts.
I’m trying to train myself to think of them differently, though.
I don’t want to think of them as keys on a piano. There, if you miss a key, or fail to play the right thing, you produce discord. You fail to do the right thing.
I prefer to think of the journey of vim and other keyboard shortcut mastery more like surfing.
When you fail at surfing you still succeed because the path is what is enjoyable. Being dedicated to constant improvement–especially knowing you’ll never achieve perfection–is both calming and positive.
I want to reinforce this mode of thinking by:
- Rewriting my vim article
- Writing my Mandatory Keyboard Shortcuts article
- Reviewing these every month or quarter
- Making a concerted effort to use my shortcuts whenever I can
- Enjoying when I do use them
- Not stressing when I fail to
It’s the path that matters.