Weird. Germans are not having kids for a number of reasons. Many of them are the reasons I myself am not. And I’m German (American).
- A child would be too much of a financial burden (47%)
- I’m still too young for that (47%)
- My career plans would be hard to fulfill with a child (37%)
- I haven’t yet found the right partner (28%)
- I want to have the maximum amount of freedom, not to have to limit myself (27%)
- I have many interests that would be hard to reconcile with having a child (27%)
- Children are hard to raise; I am not sure I have the strength and nerves for that (27%)
- I want to be as independent as possible (26%)
- I would then have less time for friends (19%)
- I don’t know if my relationship will stay together (17%)
- I or my partner would be at a career disadvantage if we had a child (16%)
Not all of those apply to me, but most of them do. Kind of interesting. I’ve been throwing around an idea for quite some time now about this whole issue of having children. I’ll save it for later, though.